Search this Blog

Loading

Thursday, April 21, 2011

GIDS

When my SIL suddenly called me up on Tuesday evening, I knew something was wrong.. But things were worse than expected.. She wanted me to attend some 2 day developer summit on her behalf.. somewhere near Mathikere (I stay near ITPL which meant it was a good 25+ kms away).. Now, the distance, the short notice and the almost total ignorance on what to expect, factored very heavily in making me want to say no.. And knowing a few seminars/ summits which were more of a brand promotion rather than dissemination of knowledge, I was a bit weary about going. But for some reason I agreed.. Maybe it was an intuition (Maybe, I just needed a break from work!)

And am I glad that I decided to go! Fast forward 12 hrs - I made sure I could leave office for two days and hurriedly took an auto at around 9 to JN Tata Auditorium (the gates were supposed to get closed by 9.20).. After trying to find the shortest route and realizing that the auto wala took the longer route and getting stuck in stand still traffic, finally managed to hurriedly reach a little before 11. I was half expecting to get kicked out but was let in with a tag and a complimentary bag. I found the nearest hall and went in, imagining things to be very much similar to the many training courses that I had attended.


But I was in for a surprise. The session that was going on was by a person by the name Scott Davis on HTML5.. I had heard abt HTML5 and knew that most of the browsers were supporting it. But that's were my knowledge stopped.. The next one hour or so was just pure learning fun.. I don't remember having so much fun getting to know something new.. atleast, none in the recent years..

And the day just changed completely after that.. I came to know that there were a number of sessions going on in parallel and I could attend any of them.. So I attended the session on Designing User Experience for Multi-screen Applications with Flash, HTML5 & CSS3 by Harish Sivaramakrishnan. It was very informative, especially the part on CSS3 and Adobe AIR..

Soon it was lunch time and I started going to the various stalls put up in the vicinity by the sponsors.. There was so much information available within a hand's reach and there were numerous contests and goodies too.. And the lunch was simply excellent (something that I usually find the organizers neglect when the technical organizing is good. Kudos to the Organizers for that).. A tasty meal, a complimentary Red Bull, a quick visit to the stalls and it was back to sessions.. But instead we were greeted by a magician.. An illusionist to be precise.. And he brought the spirits back with his wonderful acts & wisecracks and had the audience in splits with his quips!

Then it was a series of sessions starting with an informative session on jQuery, another light but meaningful session by Scott Davis on Microformats and Sematic web followed by a wonderful session on javaScript by Venkat Subramaniam! By the end of the day, all that learning frenzy left me exhausted but thirsty for more!!

Finally here was a Summit, which had relevant and related topics, wonderful orators, a good management of events, excellent arrangements in terms of audio, video, seating (& eating) and goodies to make us feel good.. Thanks to saltmarch media and the sponsors for this wonderful Developer Summit. I am eager to sleep off now and get up early for the second day of sessions on my favorite language - Java.

To sum up the Summit: GIDS - Genuinely Informative, Doubly Satisfactory!

G I D S
 

No comments:

Post a Comment